Slothtrader Forums  

Go Back   Slothtrader Forums > Slothtrader Support
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Default Announcement about spam protection - NEW USERS MUST READ THIS

I have implemented some simple protection so that spam bots don't get linked: if you have only 1 post then the URL is not displayed.

So, if you are a new user and your first post includes a URL, you will need to make a second post for it to become visible.

Thanks for your understanding, and I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

FYI, the majority of 'users' on this board are spam bots, and they only post once. That's why this simple rule works (for now)
Old 06-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

I'm going to stop deleting spam from the "general chatter" area just for fun... I'm tired of removing it. Never gets used by anyone else anyway.

I'd estimate that typically about 4-6 spams appear in that forum each day.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:03 AM
Administrator

I've considered using CAPTCHA but my main concern is that it will make it harder for legitimate users to successfully complete a signup. When you make it harder for bots to read, you also make it harder for humans...

Most of the spam gets posted into the general chatter area so for now it's relatively benign. If the spammers update their forum lists and more messages start appearing in this particular forum then obviously I'll need to consider something else... for now, the 2 post rule at least prevents their URLs being indexed.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:21 AM
Administrator

I'm trying something a little more aggressive now: I am deleting any accounts with at least 1 post that have posted AFTER the last legitimate/non spam post on the support forum. This will also remove every message posted since, which is all spam. New accounts with 0 posts are retained just in case they're someone real who hasn't posted yet.

I've also been blocking IPs of banned accounts, but this doesn't work so well since there's a plethora of available open proxies. There are a few IPs that hit this forum constantly (thousands of connect attempts per day) so blocking them does provide some benefit. There is potential for collateral damage here since I don't attempt to verify that the IP is an open proxy. (No, I haven't blocked Googlebot, I'm not THAT stupid )

Anyway, just a wrap up, and an apology for the amount of crap appearing in this forum lately. If it continues I'll have to look at CAPTCHA or something similar.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to monsterman Send a message via MSN to monsterman

didnt take long, fucking gay spammers are back
Old 03-02-2009, 09:54 AM
rockjock

Smile

Hi Rowan,

New to using Sloth Trader and came here looking for some help.

Noticed all the spambots on the forum and just wanted to say make sure that those forum posts don't get indexed or you'll get banned from Google real quick.

Had the same thing happen on one of my domains and took a while to get back into the index after that.

You could possibly use robots.txt to block the entire forums from being indexed for now.

Of course some kinda captcha would help the most

Thanks for the great script, and now on to post #2...
Old 03-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator

I've enabled captcha. It's the standard VB one so I'm sure it's been cracked, but it may at least reduce the level of new registrations. (You think there's a lot of spam posted? For each post there's probably 10 new accounts created... :-\ )
Old 03-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Administrator

I did notice one thing, these spammers type very fast... they complete their registration form in about 2 seconds.

Registration form posts are now blocked if the previous page was loaded less than 5 seconds ago.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Administrator

One (1) spam in the last 1 1/2 days or so... I think it's worked.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Streamer

Default please help

I build the templates topliste 1 or 2 in my side?

via iframe or what?

I could try and even the whole time also hits aussehn in and view it only hits out bekomm not go so please help as templates